A love letter that Michael Jordan wrote in high school recently surfaced to the media. The letter had been auctioned off for $5,100 in 2004, and appears to show Michael’s softer side. The letter is below:
My Dearest Laquette
How are you and your family doing, fine I hope. I am in my Adv. Chemistry class writing you a letter, so that tell you how much I care for you. I decide to write you because I felt that I made you look pretty rotten after the last night. I want to tell you that I am sorry, and hope that you except my apologie. I know that you feelings was hurt whenever I loss my necklace or had it stolen.
I was really happy when you gave me my honest coin money that I won off the bet. I want to thank you for letting me hold your annual. I show it to everyone at school. Everyone think you are a very pretty young lady and I had to agree because it is very true. Please don’t let this go to your head. (smile) I sorry to say that I can’t go to the game on my birthday because my father is taking the whole basketball team out to eat on my birthday. Please don’t be mad because I am trying get down there a week from Feb. 14. If I do get the chance to come please have some activity for us to do together.
I want you to know that my feeling for you has not change yet. ← (joke) I am finally getting use to going with a girl much smaller than I. I hope you my hint. Well I have spent my time very wisely by write to you. I hope you write back soon. Well I must go, the period is almost over. See you next time around, which I hope comes soon.
With my Best Love
Michael J. Jordan
Here, eight things we learned about 18-year-old MJ from his love letter to a girl named Laquette …
- He was a brainiac. He wrote the love letter in Advanced Chemistry class. (I remember that class; it made me cry, and I barely got by with a C.) But I guess as it turns out, Jordan was a brain and a jock all in one?? Whoa, he put those Breakfast Club kids to shame.
- He didn’t pay attention in class. He remarks toward the end of the letter, “Well I have spent my time very wisely by write to you.” I guess he was so smart that he didn’t even need to take notes during his teacher’s lecture or conduct any kind of experiment during his Chemistry class.
- He was a gentleman. He not only says he hopes his object of affection is doing well, but he sends his regards to her family! Whoa. That’s some old-school chivalrous behavior right there.
- He was a big flirt. Full of compliments for his lady!
- And a cocky one at that. After complimenting Laquette on being pretty, he qualifies it by saying, “Please don’t let this go to your head. (smile)” and “I want you to know that my feeling for you has not change yet. <- joke” Alrighty then, MJ!
- He had a cool dad. His dad took the whole basketball team out to eat on his birthday.
- He had high standards. Noting that it was going to be difficult for them to get together for a date it seems Laquette had proposed earlier (perhaps for Valentine’s?), he says, “If I do get the chance to come please have some activity for us to do together.” In other words, MJ won’t settle for just hanging out on this chick’s couch. There needs to be mini-golf or bowling pre-planned. Ha!
- He had beautiful penmanship! I never would have guessed. Does anyone know how to write cursive like that anymore??